Saturday, March 24, 2012

Sleep Come Free Me

I really liked Early James Taylor, with that sharp band, minimal keys, just guitars, bass, and Russ Kunkel or Jim Keltner laying down those fatback, in the pocket beats, so I was always leery of his work for Columbia records in the late 70s.  But the man is a master of expressing sentimental resignation, solemn grief, somber remorse. At times when I was really broken down, humbled, and defeated, I would find solace in his voice, his gift for nuance in expressing melancholy and resolve.  This song was a gem I discovered on Flag, one of two albums he released on Columbia in, I want to say 1978?  Maybe not.  But this one spoke to me at times when I felt so downtrodden and at a loss, powerless, that I wanted to drink, understood the power of drug and why people seek them out, or any other passive means of self annihilation.  For me just going to sleep was enough.  Just let go of consciousness and sleep, escape it all, as much as possible.  I feel like a nap now, and a change, one I already had that I lost.  But in a perfect world, it would be a new change, an improvement of relations and relationships, but it feels like that's out of my hands, and all I can do is be who I am and let what came into my life, depart from it, if what I am, where I am, does nothing for them.  So for now, my only real escape is to sleep.  So I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment