Monday, October 8, 2012

Brain.

Brain was the name of the Dog on Inspector Gadget.  He was the dopest dog ever.  One step ahead of everyone.  The real detective and secret agent.  Cooler than Snoopy, which seemed impossible when I was a kid.

Brain is the arbiter of our thoughts and how the consciousness interacts with our bodies.  If it goes off the deep end, we usually follow.

Brain is a song the really helped me de-stress during one of the most stressful years of my life up till that point, circa 97'.  It was on a mixtape I made with Some Crew, as well called ourselves back then. I was Grew-Some (I'm finally embracing that name, with that spelling), there was Awe-Some: Jason, (our philosophy major) Hand-Some: Wang/ Robert (the DJ) and Lone-some: De'mon rounded out the core crew.  There was also Ran-some: Mike, who was there in the beginning, but went his own way Jarobi style.  Some-Sh*t would be the 1st International Some as far as I know, that being Dan from the UK, and then there was And Then Some: RC, who would fittingly come up with the coolest Some name, cause he was a step beyond us in his pursuit of his artistic ambitions.  Deep down, our talents seemed to take a backseat to our pursuit of some sort of inner peace.  We were all looking for something, and shared the sum of our means to keep each other grounded, and so we were, and thus we remained, even after we long since went our separate ways into adulthood.

I wasn't fond of being Gruesome, because of issues with my self-image, even though that would have let me draw a parallel to other MCs with wicked sounding monickers.  Grew-some, the clever play on words really did fit though, cause I had some growing to do.  To see where I am vs. where I was, I realize now I had to grow before I could grow into that name.

All that said, I still love that song.  100% chill out vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment