Sunday, November 11, 2012

Forever

It just so happens that some of the best songs I have come across have the most appropriate titles for the things on my mind, and occasionally the lyrics work out and address things on my mind that may very well be unrelated to the title.  This song, Forever, by the Charlatans (UK) falls into that category, and to boot it's an incredible song, that bass line and organ is just filler.  I remember being blown away the first time I saw it on VH1 near 12 years ago. I borrowed the cd from a friend of mine who had been a fan and zoned out to this one. For me, it was the kind of song I wanted to loop infinitely, which makes the title all the more apropos.

Now what does this have to do with my current state of mind?  Well, honestly, the notion of being locked into a perpetual pattern, fixed in this current life path I'm on is starting to bother me just a little it, as desire and opportunity stumble all over each other and cross my path.  The challenge is that I can easily see myself fixed in this pattern because though I feel some sort of wanting or another, it's not concrete. Wanting something vague leaves you ripe for disappointment once you find out what the specifics are when it comes time to ante up.  You never want to hand out blank checks written on your peace of mind, desire can be expensive.  I have to be extra-careful with my indulgences.  At the same time, if I am too careful, too reserved, I will find myself going in circles. Life as played on an infinite loop.  This mortal life is finite, and I'm coming to the point where I accept that the progression from one point to the next is preferable to maintaining a perpetual stasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment