Saturday, April 19, 2014

Reset

When all else fails, sometimes you just have to start over from scratch, when possible.  That's the theme for this week.  Things that seem reliable turn into things that require so much maintenance it seems there is no justifiable reason to stick with them, other than masochism.  That was my experience with technology courtesy of a fatal error prompted by a Microsoft Update on Two Computers that rendered them inoperative.  One required a complete reformatting of the machine, the other an extensive system repair.

In the realm of the flesh and blood the same happened.  I'd been coasting on an approach to life that seemed to work but it was taking its toll and there didn't seem to be much I could do to adjust the trajectory of my shortfalls and deficits.  It had gotten to the point where I was willing to just blow everything off for the sake of some peace of mind.  All that does is corner you into making a choice between further alienating yourself from the existence you have created for yourself, or forcing your hand to do something because you have no other choice.  Either situation creates pressure and desperation.  In my effort to come up with the simplest life rules to pass along to anyone who'll listen, I've got one to add to my list which was three, and now four:

1. Don't Mess Up.
2. When you do mess up, learn from your mistake and don't do it again.
3. Don't be desperate.
4. When you feel desperate, if possible, stop what you're doing and reconsider the 1st rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment