Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Weird Fishes

For the astrologically minded I am a typical Pisces.  It never was my intent, I never knew of the stereotypical notions about the sign when i was becoming the individual I am.  Just call it dumb luck, it most assuredly wasn't a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I am what I am.

It's odd that I was so struck by the film Catfish, along with the reason it took that for it's title, and recommended it to an estranged lover who I thought might appreciate it.  It just so happens she had been thinking back to the story her grandmother used to tell her about Koi, a phoneme for something I accused her of being most of the time.  It's not like my accusations were unfounded.  They were usually pretty spot-on actually, uncanny in their perceptive nature, like Astrology sometimes is.

Well, since I was born in the year of the Dragon, I was always one to look for a connection between the two astrological icons ascribed to someone of my particular birth date.  I couldn't come up with much, other than spurious self-manufactured concepts.  Well, apparently I just didn't let the powers of coincidence/ synchronicity play out.  All it took was googling "folk tale about "coy" fish" to find an entry about the meaning of  the dragon and the koi fish depicted together.

Koi is the Japanese term for Carp, and  apparently the legend is of Chinese origin.  It is the tale of the Humble Carp and the Rainbow/ Dragon River & Gate, which is told here:
So, if I want to bridge the divide between Water and Fire, Fish and Fantasy, Sea and Air, I have my folklore at the ready.

Meanwhile the story my ex was referring to is a variation of  The Fisherman and the Fish although I thought it had an Asian origin.  Perhaps it's a universal folk tale?  The wiki mentions it appearing in multiple forms by other authors including the Brother's Grimm. The animated tale I recall as a child was set in the Orient, and the golden fish was a Koi/ Carp for certain.  That's the binding tie.

Our experiences/ points of reference regarding the Golden Fish related to our conflict with one another regarding how we live our lives and pursue happiness/ contentment.  That disconnect may very well prevent us from ever having a friendship of any sustainable sort, because I will continue to strive to be transformed into something beyond what I am, and at least from what I have perceived, she looks for fulfillment in the terrestrial.  Our last parting of ways, though unspoken, was a fine illustration of how these two ambitions can't be compromised or reconciled when commitments are divided evenly between the two.

All of this is bunk anyway, because she's a Scorpio. I only know of one folk tale featuring a scorpion, but perhaps there are more:


This is the one I know: The Scorpion and the Frog

I did not know it was supposedly derived from:


The Scorpion and the Tortoise

The Latter is more empowering than the prior, well at least for the aquatic life.  In either case it seems that due to its intrinsic nature the Scorpion's instinct to inflict harm is its undoing when companionship is it's saving grace.

Best to avoid them/ leave them lonesome eh?  But what sort of fools let Astrological Signs and Folk Tales govern their lives?  What kind of fool indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment