Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Go To Sleep

One of the unfortunate side effects of letting yourself get out of shape, when in the past you've been very athletic, is that when you "kickstart" your metabolism it goes full throttle.  That happened to me this past weekend, and as a result, I have slept no more than 4 hours each night for the last three.  I'm running about 11 hours in the last 72 and I don't know how I made it through today without a nap or anything.  I had a few facepalm zone-out moments in the morning, but it didn't last long.  I think the key was staying busy to the Nth power at work, and then when I got home, up until now.

It was like Jenga, but Memento style, disorienting and treacherous if you don't pay attention, but also pretty straight forward.  That was my day today, and I'm worried about a crash, but so far so good, I'm rolling along, and just hope I don't catch a "Second-Wind" the curse of the revitalized athletic metabolism, which is this weird thing, where, when you should be tired and drained, you push through it, and have to force yourself to rest, or embrace that you don't actually need to rest to continue.  It's a strange way to be, akin to what soldiers tap into during war time when sleep is a luxury you can't always afford.  I'm hoping to get back on track today, cause tomorrow is Hump day indeed, and getting over the hump is a whole lot easier on a full night's rest.  Maybe I can eat myself to sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment