Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Quick One While He's Away

I could go for laughs on this thing, but I only pull that off when I'm uniquely inspired or playing off people who are funnier than I am.  It's a shame or is it a blessing, cause my sense of humor is, how do you say?  A Hot Mess.  I make a habit to visit this one place, it's not really a City, but it's got a sense of being a place with lots of people with good senses of humor and they do a good job of putting me in a mood not far from how I act with my family and closest friends, as far as "being funny" goes.  Sometimes we're caustic and harsh, but it's seldom ever anything but all in good fun, even if it is at the expense of someone else.  I know that's horrible, but there was this whole period of 1996-97' where I would joke about my Red Sweatshirt making me feel evil, and that I'd "woken up on the dark side of the force in the morning." so I guess it's par for the course that I take pleasure in coarse humor.  It could be a lot worse, cause I've heard and said worse than what typically flies across the blotter in that Burg of Laughing folks.

There was a point 12 years ago when I wanted to start a comedy publication, along the lines of The Onion, which I was seriously loving back then, called The Rag, pun intended.  I was probably at my worst as far as my humor was concerned, and pretty unhinged and uninhibited in my delivery.  I was in the midst of a descent into complete irresponsibility, and running from the ominous feeling that the College Town I was in had this Final Destination like bead on my mortality that I had to escape.  To get my mind off my Fight or Flight crisis, I took to cracking crazy jokes to bide my time and mask my unraveling.

One great thing that came toward the decline of that period in my life was the true story of me being Trapped in a Stall in a certain public restroom at a certain public university, with a toilet I had freshly clogged.  It was a Crazy story written immediately after my successful escape from the stall and bathroom without being discovered.  The jubilation I felt resulted in what I consider the funniest thing I have EVER written.  It was a Victory lap of an email, of which I have little to NO recollection with the exception of a line that acknowledged my crime when it was probably later discovered  "Who was the father of that funk???"  Yeah, that story was CRAZY.  I could rewrite it, but it would lack that manic zeal.  And of course none of my friends are the kind of nuts that have kept every email ever sent to their account over the last 12 years... like I have.  Too bad I wasn't saving sent messages.  That one was a gem.  Anyway, I have my moments when I'm hilarious in person, but only when I'm telling true stories or riffing on goofy and wicked ideas, but it's really easy to jump the shark in mid-stream, so yeah, no jokes on this blog.  Well, at least not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment