Sunday, August 24, 2014

Writing to Reach You

"My inside's on the outside..."

Fran Healy's ability to communicate thoughtful melancholy in disarmingly charming ways makes me think of James Taylor, in a good way.  Emerson Hart of Tonic is another songwriter who has that uncanny knack for making down sound like up, or at lease, breaking even.  I have spent so much of my post pubescent life in a head space that suits this kind of music, and I didn't even know it, because initially I limited my taste to Hip Hop and Alternative. I didn't grow out of that kind of music, but I grew into others.  I had something I wanted to say to people I cared about, without ornamentation or self-conscious posturing.  I just wanted to sincerely share my feelings, all of them, not just the genre-approved emotional palette.  That's what this is song is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment