Sunday, February 2, 2014

It's A Figth Between My Heart and Mind, No One Really Wins This Time

Sometimes it only takes a few measure to start a song, start an album, to let you know that you have found a group of people in a band who have collectively tapped into something kindred spirit of musical actualization. Copeland was that band for me. This song, No One Really Wins... tears into catharsis with gusto.  It snaps me out of whatever I am into, and opens the floodgates of adrenaline.  But then you note the lyrics and find the core of the message is just as emotional and driven, which enhances the catharsis exponentially.  This is the epitome of song craft.  Copeland would go on the evolve musically, becoming a completely different sounding band, but still mining elements of the sounds that filled the album No One Really Wins... appears on (In Motion).  By the time You Are My Sunshine, their final album was released, they were easily one of my favorite bands, with a plethora of songs that helped buoy me through a tumultuous time in my life emotionally.  I've always been the kind of person who loves when an album opening is like starting an engine and accelerating onto the path to begin a journey.  This song is the beginning of such a journey.  Any song that ends with the line, "In the Endless Fight of Grace & Pride... I Don't Want to Win This Time" is worthy of heralding my travels in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment