Friday, January 4, 2013

Alone twice over.

The word alone seems to inspire good lead off tracks for albums or ones that feel like they could be.  Here are a few from days gone by that I love.

Ben Harper Gives it the Somber Treatment, and with it being a waltz, you know I love it.

Foo Fighters put their own spin on it  and crank it good, for another fave.  since the title isn't simply "Alone", i don't count it, hence "twice over".

King's X gives it the Aggro Treatment as only they can, without sacrificing the groove.  The Video Vixens always threw me off though...

All that said, it's funny that songs about being alone that appeal to me the most are the ones turn the subject on its head and channel the energy of that frustration outwardly.  I'll admit the Harper song is a little sulky, but, eh, that's Ben Harper in a  nutshell anyway.

Beyond that there's a couple more that broach the subject in their own way that are killer tunes only one of which I could find streaming so far Tea For One

In a perferct world I'd find a stream of I Ain't Goin Down This Dirt Road by Howlin' Wolf off of Disc 3 of his Chess Box, which is one perfect bit of brooding blues, but it's not out there, just an acoustic version that lacks the menace and vibe of the Chess Box version that plays like a meditation.  Here's the Amazon Snippet of the MP3, it's worth the $.99 if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment